Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekend Update

Lame. I have a rather large amount of stuff to do at work, and just have not been in any mood to work on the game all week. I did create two more characters, maybe I'll finish another one tonight.

Lame.

I really wish I eventually could support myself developing indie games. I developed a list of game ideas over the years, and I finally went through and looked at it. I've got 37 ideas, 23 I still like (I started the list > 4 years ago), and 16 I think are realistic for me to create on my own.

I would love to work for myself. I could set my own schedule, and work on basically whatever I wanted. I'd love to have a second project to switch to when I feel like a change of pace. I have to say it would be awesome to be able to do this all day, and then have to force myself away to play video games, head out on the town, or watch TV. Full time I could probably release 3 games in a year, and have more free time than I do now.

My real job, while nice by all measures, just isn't what I'd really love to be doing. This game has to be pretty successful for me to justify quitting to "explore my passions," but XBLIG sales are generally depressingly low. Quick math, it would take ~30,000 sales to make me consider going full time. Extrapolating from XNA sales figures, I'm expecting ~262. So yeah, probably better learn to love my day job.

Ahh well, a man owns nothing if not his own dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment