Monday, September 14, 2009

(Post) Weekend Update

I forgot to do a lot of things yesterday, and figured I'd make up the lateness with screen shots tonight. Unfortunately for my game, real work is getting a bit more involved than it used to be, and I find I don't want to spend all my free time programming and doing painstaking pixel art. Funny that. Anyway, expect to see gratuitous screenshots sprinkled ahead (if you didn't already notice).



I realized this week, that my development schedule for the rest of this game is very free-form. If I made a Gantt chart, it would be very tall, and there would be very few dependencies. I have to create and program the attacks before I can work on the associated animation, and the main menu and world map have to wait until I have all the battles in place, but other than that, I can really go in any order. I think a more useful way of tracking my own progress will be in how many levels are made, and how far along various characters are.



Battles complete: 4
Characters (mostly) Drawn: 24
Characters in game, with working attacks: 13
Characters fully animated: 5
Total attacks coded: 39




That list doesn't look as good as I hoped, but I think this will be a good way to track progress at least. As I progress, adding new characters and maps *should* get easier.



Eventually I'll write the victory screen, I swear. I also have to write in a whole bunch of help text. Well, I don't have to, but the game would suffer greatly without some description of what some attacks do (hell, I forget what some of them do). Writing the text won't take too terribly long, writing the code to display it with some sort of navigation menu and testing will probably take longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment