Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dev Update

I have a gameplay video to post, but have to encode and upload still. Had more trouble than expected, should be up tomorrow.

-----------

So I started doing some testing on the 360. Couple things to note:

Turns out the garbage collector isn't quite as smart as the full .Net GC. The solution for now, manually collect 3 times a second *shudder*. I only have a partial idea why and the performance hit is negligible, but my code is bad and I should feel bad.

Floating point operations, noticeably slower, as are string operations. Luckily some AI optimization stopped this problem before it started. I felt rather silly waiting 10 seconds for the AI to decide it's best option was to just sit there and meditate.

Also true on PC, but render targets are rather difficult to deal with in XNA. In the future, I will not use them again, and will find some other way. I haven't found a better way to do what I wanted. At present, the code is hideous and fragile, but without major architecture revision it won't get any better. There's gotta be a better way. All I want is a simple scrolling list.

-----------

The following may or may not make sense, it's really only so I can track my own progress.

Anyway, progress report:
6 characters are complete (even if some of their animations really need work)
3 more ready, just need to be put in code and animated. 2 need a little work before I can use them
Character selection dialog built, but not used at present (the source of most my coding woes)
Bug fixes and performance improvements in the AI
Technically the multiplayer framework is in, but nothing triggers it and the menus aren't in place
Oh yeah, temporary main menu
New maps, small bridge, and the one in the video, along with some new tiles

Goals for the week:
Basic world map
Character select for campaign
Implement/animate the three new characters, mock up three more
^^ this requires adding support for summons and transforming classes, so prolly this before that
*target* Get one encounter finished, from world map, to character select, to victory and bonus

No comments:

Post a Comment