Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Holy cow, I think I can see the finish line

Just hit a milestone, all the levels are mapped. I thought it would take a lot longer. I also thought I needed a lot more art assets, but what few I needed didn't take long at all. I'm really pretty happy with almost all of the levels. There are a few that didn't turn out the way I'd imagined, but I think they'll grow on me.


This one was actually one I had no definitive plan for. Something in a swamp. Maybe there would be a big tree. Stared at it for five minutes and came up with this.

I also spent a good day just doing a little bit of math to balance the game. I had wanted to avoid trying to mathematically balance the game - just sort of out of principle, I guess. But then I realized that the AI was leaning on just a move or two per character, which was predictable, if effective. The characters that were the most fun to fight against were the ones that constantly changed up their moves. I did some math to get rough estimates of how the AI estimated each attack, and used that to even out some of the extremes. Adjust some costs here, and some damage there. This is good because the AI is more unpredictable and you get to see what their various moves do before you unlock the character.

Along the way, I had time to fix some camera glitches and add a free-look button, catch some bugs, and improve pathfinding.

So I'm totally done, right? I started a to-do list, but it was growing longer than the rest of this post on it's own. So yeah, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment