Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Historian

I was hoping I would have a summoner done, and I do, so today I talk about the Historian. Yes, the Historian. All the classes up until now have been somewhat sensible, and this one seems to come out of left field. As odd as this sounds, he's a better example of what I'm trying to go for. He's themed interestingly, and isn't someone you see in other games.


 
(No, the one on the right is not the historian. The character on the right is a ghost)


So the historian is a scholar dedicated to the study of history and the very nature of time. He studies time closely enough to learn a little time magic. Here's his moveset:
  • His first move is to manipulate one person's time stream, effectively aging them rapidly. Not much mind you, but enough for them to feel like their heart skipped three beats. It does a little bit of damage and weakens the target, for a little longer than normal.
  • The second and third moves are closely related. He can create a time bubble to slow down everyone in a rather large area.
  • Alternatively, he can speed everyone up. Both moves have a bit of range, and affect a rather large area.
  • The final move is to summon an anchient ghost. He can summon more than one, but it takes his entire turn and a fair bit of magic.

So, he's a summoner, he can create a new character on the fly. There are a number of these guys slated, with various types of summons and different rules on when/how they can summon a new creature. Some can only have one summon in battle at a time, others can only have one of each type they can summon. There are very small number that can summon creatures repeatedly. The summoned creature fights for his master, but is not directly controlled by the player. They have only one move, and are not as strong nor as durable as normal characters.



So there's the historian. I think I want to put a book in his hand, I think I'll do that before I do a final release. Next week, I'll pick another "out-there" character class. I'm thinking the Metalurgist or the Inquisitor. Until then you can try to imagine what they'll look like / what they can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment